Teenagers are going to continue killing themselves. The internet will never change that. It's nothing more than a new avenue for intimidation. I don't know enough about the Todd incident (and I won't research it). One thing I do know, is that drugs were a big part of her problem. Once you add that to a teenager's hormonal nightmare all bets are off. If you add all the other factors of social anxiety and insecurity . . . Let loose the chemical swing! Anytime there is a suicide look a little closer and you'll find some type of chemical is at play, whether internal or external.
When I was a kid, no one cared about the bullying me or my friends endured. I remember in the late 80s teenage suicide was all the rage. I think that bullying is a huge learning opportunity. It's unfortunate that for some it's their last.
(Am I sounding cold or calloused?)
It's also unfortunate that the internet has made bullies out of otherwise ordinary kids. It's too easy. Kids need to take the internet as seriously as the bullies do, which is not at all. I know that's easy to say. Like life itself, bullies will find a way. The strong survive?
(Now I really sound cold)
I refer to high-school life as "The age of fear". Everyone is so off-balance: Afraid of academic failure, teacher approval, peer approval, parent approval, self approval. I guess, in my way, I committed social suicide. I was not alone, which is a big factor, but I definitely made myself unpopular among students and adults.
![]() |
| Chris Musatto circa 1988 |

No comments:
Post a Comment