Be Where You Is
"Be what you is, cuz if you be what you ain't, then you
ain't what you is."
. . . or something like that.
( http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_'Be_who_you_is_-_if_you_is_who_you_ain't_you_ain't_who_you_is'
)
I think that’s how it goes, and there seems to be some debate
as to whom that quote is attributed to, but it’s one of my favorites. However, I would like to propose a new
version.
Be where you is, cuz if you
be where you aint, then you aint where you is.
I think this
new version is more poignant in today’s mobile device world. I don’t know how many times I’ve been walking
through a crowded area and had to dodge people like the ones seen below.

It’s no
wonder that the occasional tragedy happens.
Call it natural selection?
I know
that’s easy to say and it sounds cold, but only as cold as plastic, metal and
circuitry. The mobile connections that
we have are now half of who we are. Does
that make us cyborgs? Someone who does
not have all the knowledge of mankind at their fingertips is subhuman in
today’s society. One day individual
experience will be a thing of the past.
I wonder
what kind of emotional effect it’s having on us. We won’t know until it’s too late. Obviously there are negative aspects to not
being 100% present in the real world.
For now, at least, I think staying alive is pretty important stuff.
Flesh is
weak. Our bodies die but our virtual
presence can live on.
( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/facebook-death/
) In class, we recently learned about a
Facebook service that enables things to be posted posthumously. Eventually will our consciousness live on
electronically?
No comments:
Post a Comment