Information. All of our music, money, photos, personal and financial records. It used to be tangible. It has slowly become nothing. Is GOOGLE to blame? The world, especially America, is obsessed with comfort and convenience. What do we have to show for it? An empty hand?
This is where I get all sci-fi on your asses.
It's far from over. I predict that more of what we own will dissipate into nothingness. Eventually even our clothes will become digital information. Imagine a jumpsuit with a motherboard. Outfits can be changed in a matter of seconds into an entirely different ensemble . . . with your phone. One day we will develop a form of teleportation that only transfers your information, creating an exact copy and destroying the original. This will, of course, mean immortality, but we'll be able to inhabit the universe, and eventually create copies that don't require oxygen. But I doubt, very highly, the human race will last that long.The older generation is afraid to lose what they have. The younger generation won't know or care what that was. But that can be said of all life, and we will lose what we have one day.
Back to GOOGLE
Information. I find it funny that the people who seem to bitch the most about them are the ones that wish THEY were making that money, the ones who can't seem to squeeze their way into that racket, or the ones who get rich off of fear-mongering. I guess every generation has to have it's devil. If you want the world at your fingertips the cost might be your soul. (I'm not religious, if you couldn't tell)A friend of mine came to me with a shocking realization one day. He said, "One day I will have been dead for a million years." I wasn't blown away by his epiphany, but it put things in perspective. I have a feeling that if the human race is wiped out AFTER I die, I won't know or care. In other words: How much does anything really matter. Nothing has really convinced me that this world will continue to exist after I die. That sounds self-centered because it is. Everyone is self-centered unless their schizophrenic. Cynical? Maybe.
Gravity pulls me in the existential direction. I apologize if you're not up for that.
You can't be like that! You have to care! Being a living creature of some agency on this planet, it's your duty as a human. For future generations.
Bullshit! It's my duty to get my homework done so I can get out of school and make some money for the girl I married. It's my duty to have stupid conversations on-line with myself. It's my duty to waste your time.
Thanks for hangin out.
No comments:
Post a Comment